2 Weeks With The Newest Baby Bidwell

It has been an interesting couple of weeks for us. Two weeks ago yesterday we had Baby Bidwell #2. Everything went really well. I am so thankful that baby Aliza was perfectly healthy and Amanda has had a quick recovery. We got to come home on Halloween day, which meant I got to take Amelia trick-or-treating in our neighborhood that evening. She loved getting candy. We went with some of our friends and she had a great time with the other kids. I was walking up to the houses with her and at one point she stopped me and said, “Daddy, don’t come with me.” It broke my heart. She isn’t supposed to be this independent at not even 3 years old.

My parents were here the week of the birth and then Amanda’s mom and sister came the following week. We were definitely appreciative of the help. This week is the first time things are back to “normal”. I have been working all week, but I go to the office for a half day and then I work from home in the afternoons so I can help out. We definitely haven’t gotten into a routine yet with the new baby, but I’m sure that will come.

So far Amelia has been great. She loves her sister, and is always willing to help out. She hasn’t acted jealous, but she certainly is recognizing the fact that she can't be the center of attention all the time. We will see how it goes.

Amelia is extremely interested in the whole process of nursing and has had lots of questions about it. Even before the baby got here she was constantly pretending to be a mommy. That hasn’t slowed down at all. Her imagination is very active and she is dreaming up increasingly complex scenarios that we are expected to help her play out. She is a lot of fun to watch; constantly making up songs with lyrics that describe her day.

So far baby has been sleeping really well. I don’t feel any less rested than I did before she got here. We still struggle with getting Amelia to bed at a decent time. Most nights we go to bed as soon as she does. Aliza is doing the stuff that babies do. She had her 2 week check-up a couple days ago and everything was good. She had even gained a half a pound over her birth weight.